Beaches and Limited Restrooms Open; Fees Resume at Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
BUSHKILL, PA – Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is following COVID-19 guidance from the White House, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), state and local public health authorities, and the National Park Service (NPS) Office of Public Health and is using a phased approach to increase recreational access and services throughout the park. Employees continue to examine each facility, function, and service that the park provides to ensure that park operations comply with current public health guidance and that public areas and workspaces are safe and clean for visitors, employees, partners, and volunteers.
Increased recreational access and changes to park operations during this phase include:
• Turtle Beach in NJ will be open daily during daylight hours beginning June 18. Milford and Smithfield Beaches in PA are also open including the boat and canoe launches. There will be no lifeguards on duty at park beaches this summer.
• Limited restrooms are currently available at selected locations throughout the park including:
o In NJ: Kittatinny Point Main parking lot (weekends only), Turtle Beach, Poxono boat launch, Blue Mountain Lakes, and Upper Van Campens Glen;
o In PA: Bushkill Meeting Center; Toms Creek Picnic Area, Raymondskill Falls, Bushkill Access, Dingmans Access, Milford Beach canoe launch, and Smithfield Beach canoe and boat launches;
o Additional restrooms will be re-opened over the next several weeks. Some park restrooms will remain closed this year.
• Fee collection will resume at 6 fee areas in the park on June 18, including: Smithfield, Milford and Turtle Beaches, Watergate Recreation Site, and Dingmans and Bushkill boat and canoe launches. Annual passes are available for $45 and are for sale at Milford, Smithfield, and Turtle Beach fee stations on weekends. Passes are also available by mail. Applications can be found at: https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/fees.htm.
• Most trails in the park are open. Information about park trails, including maps and driving directions, can be found on the park website. Campsites along the Delaware River and along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail within the park remain closed until further notice.
• Park visitor centers will not be open this summer. Instead, staff who would have been stationed at visitor centers will be out in the park at popular locations to provide information and assist visitors. For information about the park, call the Information Desk, staffed daily from 8 am to 4 pm, at (570) 588-7213; visit the park website at www.nps.gov/dewa; or follow us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/DelWaterGapNPS.
The NPS encourages visitors to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and to follow Leave No Trace principles when visiting the park.