The chamber welcomes and encourages its members to actively participate in various activities of the organization. A good way to get involved is to volunteer for committee work. Descriptions of many committees are below: call the office 570-296-8700 and volunteer some time.
Business Education Committee
Purpose: Comprised of experts in both business and education, this committee sponsors workshops and seminars on a wide range of topics to assist the Pike County business community. This committee provides advisement to the CEO in his/her role as a partner of the Leadership Pike steering committee and assists in promoting the Leadership Pike program. Members of this committee have a strong sense of community and willingness to share industry “best practices”.
Activities: In support of business, the Business Education Committee coordinates workshops and seminars relevant to businesses in Pike County.
1. Create an annual plan for upcoming educational events to allow for proper planning and marketing.
2. Ensure the viability of the Pike Leadership program.
3. Research and identify appropriate topics and educational delivery models for educational programs.
4. Research ways to connect businesses to the youth in the local area.
By - Laws Committee
Purpose: This committee will safeguard the adopted PCCC bylaws by which the organization conducts its business. As per the PCCC By-Laws, this committee shall be comprised of at least one member of the Executive Committee, one other member of the Board of Directors and the CEO.
Activities: It is the duty and obligation of this committee to study and become familiar with all aspects of the By-Laws. This committee may propose amendments to the constitution’s internal operations that involve governing, establishing procedures, quorums, board member responsibilities, elections, and other regulatory concerns & issues.
1. To review the bylaws and bring current
2. To organize the bylaws into a working document that easy to understand and reference
Purpose: Plan all events for the Chamber.
Activities: Annual Banquet Chamber Gala or Signature Event. Discuss upcoming card exchanges and create interactive networking games to be played and ideas to improve the value of the events for members. Helping to plan and implement the annual Community Awards Banquet, where each year, we come together to celebrate and honor individuals for their ongoing contributions to our local community. The Chamber produces a color brochure describing the contributions of each honoree, distributed by local newspaper.
1. Membership Mixers
2. Annual Installation Dinner
3. New Member Reception where new members will be invited to a yearly reception where they can learn how to make the most of their membership.
Purpose: The Finance Committee reviews the Chamber's financial status and offers recommendations on revenue streams, alternative funding programs and expense controls. The Finance committee shall at least be comprised of the Treasurer and two other Board of Directors.
Activities: The Finance Committee shall work with the CEO in preparing the Chamber’s annual budget and shall review the books, records and procedures of the Chamber in regards to all financial aspects of the operation. Present Budget for Board approval at the December Board of Directors meeting for approval. Present Budget to the membership at the annual meeting in January.
1. Stay within Budget
2. Proactive on cost saving measures
Golf Outing Committee
Purpose: The PCCC Chamber Golf Committee in cooperation and in a joint venture with the Pike County Builders Association produces the annual 18-Hole Golf Social. Held each Fall, this event attracts a full field for an afternoon of golf and networking. This is annual fund-raiser for the Chamber, which a share of the spilt proceeds also go to a scholarship fund in memory of former Chamber 1997 President, John Gouse. Committee members meet on as-needed basis prior to the tournament.
Activities: Committee members solicit corporate and tee sponsors as well as plan the day of golf and the awards dinner which follows. This committee also recruits door prizes and goody bags items, securing sponsorships and assisting in facilitating the event.
1. Increase participation of local golfers
2. Increase sponsorships
3. Create new and fun golf hole games
Purpose: Chamber of Commerce recognizes the necessity of properly balanced legislation for enhancement and encouragement of the free enterprise system.
Activities: When necessary, vigorously oppose legislation that threatens the viability of local business as part of the private enterprise system.
1. Promote relations between local and state Legislators and the Chamber
2. Act as a bridge between business and town government. Committee meet yearly with the PC Commissioners, Milford Mayor and other town officials to address special needs or as they become apparent.
Marketing & Advertising Committee
Purpose: To enhance the image of the Chamber through branding. This committee will work with all other PCCC committees pertaining to advertising, marketing, calendar of events, & other chamber related activities at scheduled Marketing committee meetings.
Activities: This Committee develops a marketing and media plan for the Chamber and consults on all of the promotional efforts for the Chamber, including the guidebook publication.
1. Monitor, enhance and manage the marketing of the Chamber and all of its facets
2. Advise on the marketing and promotion of all Chamber committees and their events
3. Enhance website to maximize awareness of the Pike area
4. Manage the overall production of the Guidebook
Membership & Ambassador Committee
Purpose: Comprised of Chamber Ambassadors, this committee researches new member services and programs and makes appropriate recommendations to the Board of Directors. It also discusses and reviews ways in which to increase and enhance Chamber membership, and other events aimed at recruitment and retention of members. As per the PCCC By-Laws, this committee shall be comprised of at least three Board of Directors and two additional Chamber members.
Activities: Membership Ambassadors welcome new Chamber members, act as hosts and hostesses at key Chamber events and facilitate interaction at all Chamber functions. The Chamber Membership Ambassadors assist the members with fully realizing the benefits of Chamber membership. Ambassadors are the link between the Chamber and its members.
1. Plan and implement special membership drives
2. Contact new businesses in the area to welcome and introduce them to the Chamber. Contact members at their anniversary dates
3. Attend Grand Openings
4. Analyze member and non-member trends and monitors member satisfaction.
5. Development of effective acquisition and retention programs designed to educate local businesses about the programs and services available
6. Create “A Cut Above” program to recognize ambassadors who do exemplary work in supporting the mission of the Chamber.
Milford Business Council
Purpose: A group of Milford business owners that plan and implement events to help promote area businesses. Focusing on issues important to the western regional of the county, this committee works to unite the community through opening communication channels and thereby addressing such things as traffic congestion. The MBC Committee Chair acts as a conduit for bringing concerns of the small business owner to the Board of Directors for appropriate action. All interested Milford entrepreneurs are welcome.
Activities: To support the advancement of local businesses by enhancing and increasing the retail utilization.
1. Keep the main focus on business improvements
2. Produce attractions to encourage residents to shop the avenue, explore the creation or enhanced participation in festivals and special events, make the avenue a shopping and service destination for local residents and build and enhance a solid business reputation with local customers.
Purpose: To develop a slate of high quality candidates who have the desire to serve the business community in the capacity of leadership. To actively seek qualified Chamber members to fill each Board vacancy.
Activities: This committee is to prepare a slate of nominees for positions on the Chamber Board of Directors that will be vacant for the next election in November. Vacancies will be announced to, and nominations accepted from, the general membership. For each vacancy, the committee will select two members in good standing from the nominations received. As per the PCCC Bylaws, the committee consists of at least three Directors, none of whom may be a current officer.
1. During the September board meeting, present a preliminary ballot for November election of Board members
2. During the November Board meeting, present a preliminary ballot for the December election of Board officers.
Women In Business
Purpose: A woman-based committee providing networking and educational opportunities. The Committee is dedicated to enhancing, educating and empowering its members through both personal and professional growth.
Activities: The Women in Business Committee of the Pike County Chamber of Commerce presents issues relevant to today's business women. This committee plans, organizes and develops the annual Business Show featuring 75-100 businesses at a one day expo for local business persons and the community at large. Monies raised benefit the PCCC as one of the largest fund raisers.
1. New Logo design
2. New Banner
3. Section on the website with information (or a brochure)
4. Successful Expo event
5. Hold a speaker dinner for Women in Business with a related topic
6. Sell all remaining Cookbooks
Purpose: Designed to focus this growing Chamber on continuing to provide true value to its members.
Activities: To set the PCCC Strategic Plan and direction for the next fiscal year
1. Review and revise the current Strategic Plan